Coots in the NorthEdit
Coots in the North and other stories also includes two extracts that Hugh Brogan rescued from an unfinished Victorian ‘'Bevis'’-style Arthur Ransome novel, The River Comes First, plus several Ransome short stories first published in magazines:
- 'The River Comes First' and 'The Cloudburst
- 'The Unofficial Side' is the only story he wrote involving the Russian Revolution. It is related by Hurst, a paid hand in a small private yacht.
- 'Two Shorts and a Long' also involves Hurst and is set on the yacht.
- 'The Shepherd’s Pipe' (previously unpublished) and 'Ankou' are grim tales set among the peasants of Russia and Brittany.
- Coots in the North and Other Stories (Ed. Hugh Brogan, Jonathan Cape 1988, ISBN 0-224-02605-4).